The other day, Clay and I opened the front door and found this...
a snail! This is Clay's first encounter with one and he told me "Mama, that snail has a hard shell like a turtle!" Great observation!
Mama's not all about creepy crawlies, but my boy sure is, so I couldn't let this stop me from turning this experience into a total science lesson!
Then, we talked about habitats {yes, I used the word "habitat" with my two year old...why not, right?} and what snails ate. Clay told me "lettuce and leaves." I expected him to say leaves and was impressed with the lettuce part, but nonetheless, we picked some leaves to see if we could entice this little guy to take a bite!
Clay was saying, "Come on little fella! Eat the leaf." Yes, he used the word "fella." True Texan!!
Next, Mama had the idea to build this snail his own habitat using Clay's bug catcher! I told Clay we needed dirt and he corrected me with, "No Mama, mulch!"
Here he is digging in the "mulch."
Love, love, love this grin!
Getting our habitat or "habits" {as Clay called it} ready!
adding the leaves...yes, Mama picked up the snail {okay, with a small garden shovel} but still!
You'll be happy to know we check on him daily, sometimes adding fresh mulch and leaves, and yes, he is still alive! He sleeps in the garage and I'm working on convincing Clay to set him free in the backyard to be with all his other snail friends! :)




No comments:
Post a Comment